Huangpu River ranges 114 kilometers from Dingshan Lake, the source, northward to Wusong Kou, where it converges with the Yangtze River. 40 km of the river is within the metro-Shanghai. Although it is only about 400 meter wide and 9 meter deep, it sustains about one third of the China's total international trade. The river is the blood of Shanghai, the city stays alive based upon its existence.
A cruise trip along the river is essential for tourists to get a panoramic view of the fascinating city. Along the river, tourists can view the city's skylines, the Old City Town, all the bridges built along the river, its busy port area, the Bund with historical buildings of the Western styles, Hongqiao International Airport, Changxing Islet, Chongming Islet, and the site of ancient fort. At Wusong Kou, the mix of the heavily silted water of the Huangpu River with the clearer ocean tide creates three beautiful layers of color: yellow, green, and blue.
The Oriental Pearl TV Tower is one of the major achievements that symbol the rapid economic development and construction boom in Shanghai. Built in 1991, and located on the the east bank of Huangpu River, the 468 meter tall TV tower has become the new landmark of the city.
The design of the TV tower was inspired by a poem of Bai Juyi, a Tang Dynasty poet. The whole structure lookes like a group of pearls linked with a thick string. It consists of three giant spherical structures (lower sphere, upper sphere, spaceship) and five smaller ones on the upper level.
By elevator, it takes only 40 seconds to reach the upper sphere, 263 meters above the ground. From there, tourists can get a panoramic view of the fabulous city.
The TV tower is a modern entertainment complex that combines tourism, recreation, and cultural activities together. Souvenir stands, cafe, jazz band, and exhibitions are all available. It is also linked through bridges and corridors with another complex of spherical structures, which houses cinemas, restaurants, bazaars, and exhibition centers.
The Nanpu Bridge is another achievement that symbols the rapid economic development in Shanghai, especially in the Pudong Economic Development Zone. Until the construction of this bridge in 1991, there had been no link between the east and west banks of the Huangpu River other than ferries. Development and expanion of the city were confined to the west side.
The bridge is hung on two H-shaped abutments through cables. It spans 8,346 meters in total. Tourists can ascend to the bridge through elevators. On the bridge, tourists can have a charming view of the wonderful city, as well as the vigorous river.
Jade Buddha Monastery
The Jade Buddha Monastery is located in Anyuanlu street in western Shanghai. It dates from 1918 and is well worth a visit, not only for its two wellknown, valuable jade buddha statues. The monastery is still inhabited by monks. The temple consists of three main halls and two courtyards. there are statues of the four celestial kings in Tianwang Dian Hall. Gilded statues of Maitreya buddha and Weituo are also located there. Daxiong Baodian, the Treasure Hall of the Great Hero, contains three large, gilded Buddha statues:the buddhas of the past, present and future. There are 18 gilded Luohan statues to their left and right. One of the two jade Buddhas, a 1.9-m-tall portrayal of the real Buddha sitting at the moment of his enlightenment, stands on the second floor of Wentang Hall together with a collection of valuable Buddhist writings. The second Buddha statue, located in a hall on the western part of the temple grounds, portrays the reposing Sakyamuni during his passage into nirvana, 96 cm long.Each of these Buddha statues is carved out of a single piece of white jade. In addition to these two main attractions, the Jade Buddha Temple also has a collection of interesting sculptures, the oldest of which date from the 5th century, as well as a collection of 7,000 Buddhist classics. Some of them date as far back as the Tang era(618-907).
City God Temple
The City God Temple is located south of Yuyuan Garden. There used to be a temple to the local deity, which the inhabitants believed would protect them, in every city. The city deities were frequently real persons to whom the town owed something. Today, an arts and crafts store is in the temple.
Yuyuan garden is northeast of the Old Town. A high official had it designed in the Suzhou style as a private garden and built from 1559-1577. Later, it was restored several times. In spite of its relatively small area of two hectares, it seems considerably larger due to the skillful arrangement of 30 different landscape scenes. The garden consists of an inner garden which is in the southern part and substantially smaller than the outer one, but then, it is more impressive and romantic, if it is possible to visit it in the early morning hours in order to enjoy it alone. The outer part is in the north and contains numerous halls, pavilion and lakes. In 1853, the Pavilion of Spring in the northeast was the seat of the Xiaodao Hui, the Society of Little Swords, who led an uprising against Qing rule and occupied Shanghai for 17 months. Today, weapons and coins made by the Xiaodao Hui society, among other objects, are exhibited in this hall.
Longhua Pagoda and Longhua Temple
Longhua Temple is on the west bank of the Huangpu Jiang river inLonghua district in southern Shanghai. Its 40-m-high pagoda makes it an important sight.
Historic documents indicate that a pagoda was built here as early as the 3rd century. The present pagoda dates from 977. It was restored several times in later centuries and is built of wood and bricks.
Longhua Temple dates from the same period.
A bronze bell from 1382 said to weigh 1, 500kg is a feature of interest. In 1954, the entire complex was restored and a park added. It is especially pretty here in the springtime when the peach trees are in bloom.
Songjiang and Huzhu Pagoda Songjiang, also known as Huating, is an ancient town 40 kilometres to the west of Shanghai with a history of over 2000 years. There stand five ancient pagodas: Square Pagoda, Xilin Pagoda, Huzhu Pagoda, Li Pagoda and Xiudaozhe Pagoda. Huzhu Pagoda, which tilts to the west, is on Tianma Shan mountain in Songjiang district and was built in 1079. In 1788, important wooden parts were destroyed by fire, upon which old money was discovered between the bricks. In the hope of finding even greater treasures, the people tore more bricks out of the western side. Owing to this, the pagode tilted several degrees and has threatened to collapse for the last 200 years. It has become famous because it still stands in spite of all fears. The Sheshan Catholic Church, Ancient Screen Wall and Zuibai Pond are also the famous scenic spots in the area.